Thread: UPS vs FedEx
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Jetpilot
Legend in my own Mind....

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: Hey Cappy, where are we?
Cool And the right choice is????

If you have the luxury of choosing either, you probably won't go wrong with your choice and JetJok sums it up nicely. For those who don't have that luxury you'll be better off than choosing anywhere else.

Comparing systems. UPS is a trucking company with jets, FDX is an airline, buying trucks to fly less stuff on their jets. Trucks are the RJ's of our world, we lost that battle at UPS before we knew it was a fight. I"m not sure FDX will fare any better.

UPS's domestic system is as "syncronized" as it will likely get vs FDX which should experience some domestic aircraft shrinkage as Fred gets more efficient with his trucks. That should negatively effect progression at FDX. How much, who knows. New hires are getting to commute a lot further at either place, but further at FDX, again for now. UPS seems to be in it's usual plodding growth mode. Boring but pretty predictable.

Within 5 years who makes more "hourly" will be determined by who's ink is still drying on the contract. UPS has a great set up for those who are not chasing the biggest W-2 on the property, as guarantee is better here. If you choose the right fleet, you simply won't fly on reserve. I know guys that live in Domicile and work hard to not work. FDX seems to be willing to let you play with your schedule much more than UPS does, that would be cool, and far outside the brown "control freak" mentality.

As for the money, I don't care how much I can make if I work my *** off, I want to make as much as possible for as little work as I have to do. I worked hard earlier in my career so I wouldn't have to now. It's occuring to me that I'll do better at this at UPS than FDX. The guarantee is better at Brown.

FDX has the classic airline pay setup, bigger jet = more pay, so generally you'll find the most senior pilots on the biggest jets. At UPS since the pay is essentially the same on any fleet(only international override differs), the tendancy is to chase QoL. So since the fancy new 747's are in ANC, they end up going junior because there is no financial incentive for a senior guy to go there other than "just gotta fly it".

For now, you are one of Fred's darlings at FDX. At UPS you'll always be an "expense center" and the upper level boxheads will always see you as such (man we pay them way too much and they NEVER work), but with a few well known and notable exceptions, the blue collar types at UPS are not that tough to get along with, most are quite nice and helpful, thus far.

Otherwise JetJok sums it up much more nicely. The minimalist training building I could care less about. The chairs there are comfy enough and the sims usually work. I try not to spend much time there anymore. The changing of the jacket "deal" is a crock, and I got mine when they were free. I still wear my old black one at home when I want to look fashionable.

To sum it up for me, the flying was most fun when the pay was the worst, and it's still fun to fly. And... there are a few very unhappy, very rich people posting in this thread, and a few that are very unhappy that are merely only gonna be rich....

Cheers, off to look for these alleged parties during the 3 hours left on my 14 hour layover....