View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 10:47 PM
Fixnem2Flyinem
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by cursesRedBaron View Post
I'm in no way dissing QX.
Still considering it...among others. (Was actually my #1 choice...I also like the NW, and most of their bases.)
And, I'm not against the Q, either. Love DH's a/c. Flew Beavers for a while...amazing capabilities...like a cub on steroids.
Just disappointing that AAG has chosen to drop their WO pilots DOWN in the priority for upgrade...while claiming the opposite.
Bait and switch.
Like I said earlier, that pathway program is good up until a certain point in the seniority list. If you fall outside of that and are competitive maybe just apply externally, I’m pretty sure you can do that if you’re not on the pathway list.

For a pilot who doesn’t even have a class date set in stone yet, it will be a while before you get to Alaska. I believe the biggest retirement numbers they have in the next ten years is still sub 100. Granted a smaller pilot group than the rest, it still doesn’t help if you’re 400-500 on the list. We only have 200 on the pathway now since they changed it to being here a year and passing a CQ event before being eligible. I think that will continue to change, my guess is 1000pic at Horizon to be eligible for the interview by 2020. The parameters for the pathway aren’t set in stone nor do they need union approval, so it can be a moving target

Edit: The Q is a blast to fly, it’s challenging, it can and will be a handful at times, you will quickly learn that a greaser comes with a little bit of luck with some skill(atleast that’s my experience). It’s also an extremely capable airplane if working properly, I can’t think of any other regional that hand flys a cat 3 ILS to mins, and single engine if need be. The RNP approaches into some of our airports are proprietary, meaning we are the only ones doing certain approaches to lower mins, that does get the pilot geek blood flowing a bit. With that being said, the Q is designed for short legs and you will get lots of them. It’s an easy 4 day if you fly less than 16 legs. Summer flying not so bad, but winter weather in the Northwest mixed with constant in and out of a very overcrowded SeaTac can make for some brutal days at the office.

Last edited by Fixnem2Flyinem; 03-03-2019 at 11:24 PM.