View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 01:54 AM
Albief15
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Originally Posted by FXLAX View Post
I had a situation recently where I didn’t uncheck the second box (didn’t know that was a thing) and did my final check in at the gate. Everything fine until my scheduled dh flight air returned and cancelled. When I called, CRS said I had deviated and am responsible to get to the destination. I explained it a couple times until I was transferred to duty officer. When he came on the phone, he just took care of the situation without me explaining anything.
I have had to reach out to duty officers several times in last couple years... I had a jet with a mysterious fuel gauge malfunction in Manilla that I needed to get fixed and mx didn't want to address (IMHO). I called in fatigued one night last year. Most recently I called in because I got word my father in law had passed away while I was on a layover in Malaysia. In each case, the help/support I got was outstanding. YMMV, but when I have an issue in the field I don't wrestle with schedulers. They have their job to do, and often seem to be unaware or unwilling to work with you. The duty officers, on the other hand, make things happen and have helped me tremendously on a couple of occasions. I don't argue with anyone--just contact the DO and calmly explain the situation, and the options (if any) you'd like to use.

Also--it should go without saying--but any conversation is recorded. Speak in a tone and a manner you wouldn't mind having played back over and over. I suggest writing down the info you want to convey, think about what you are going to say, and then call and discuss it in a calm voice. If you have a contract reference handy then perhaps jotting that down might be a good move too. Emotion isn't your friend when you are solving these problems--stay professional and cool and it always seems to work out pretty well.