View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 12:06 PM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by pinseeker View Post
Just playing devils advocate here, but the CBA states in section 8.C.1.a that a pilot must let the company know 60 hours prior to the start of a trip of their intentions to deviate. So, how do we do that? We go on VIPS and check the appropriate boxes in the deviation section.
This is clouding the discussion. Yes, we have a deviation deadline but that's not what's at issue. We're talking about the Final Check-in.

Originally Posted by pinseeker View Post
My guess is that the company would argue that the only way they keep track of which segments are deviated is by using the deviation section in VIPS. They would probably argue that once you deviate, you can't un-deviate according to the contract, so if you checked the boxes stating that you were going to deviate on both legs, you can't decide later that you want to undo that deviation.
Please do not over-complicate this. VIPS and it's limitations is not what's at issue here. The contract language is simple and allows the option to completely bypass VIPS on your Final Check-in and tell a scheduler exactly what you're doing.

Upon arrival at the departure gate of the scheduled deadhead flight, the pilot shall check-in with VIPS, or CRS if VIPS is not accessible, and indicate that he is in position for the scheduled deadhead flight. Once this check-in has been accomplished, the pilot shall no longer be considered as deviating, for the purposes of subsequent delays, revisions, and all trip services.

"No longer be considered as deviating" as in - I was deviating until that point and now I no longer am deviating because I'm joining a segment of the scheduled deadhead. There's nothing in there about checking a box or not because even if you did, you communicate to the company in accordance with the red contract passage, complete your Final Check-in and you've changed your status.