View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 07:57 AM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by pinseeker View Post
This is also from the contract:

"... a pilot who deviates is responsible for his scheduled, revised, rerouted, or canceled trip.
So is this:
“Once this check-in has been accomplished, the pilot shall no longer be considered as deviating, for the purposes of subsequent delays, revisions, and all trip services.”

The language you quote has been there since at least 2006. Mine is new as of 2015. Your quote is still required to delineate the responsibilities of those pilots who can’t or choose not to join a segment of the scheduled DH. But, it doesn’t negate the new 2015 language.

Look at it like the old 2006 references to first class DHs being required for duty periods greater than 16 hours. That’s still in the CBA but doesn’t negate the new 2015 “lay-flat seat is good enough” addition. It’s ok for the company to use new contract provisions to their advantage but we’ll take what they give us and like it? Is that your attitude?

Originally Posted by pinseeker View Post
If you want to risk it and check that you are deviating both segments of a 2 leg DH, and then try to change you flights and catch the second scheduled leg if something goes wrong and expect the company to protect you if you aren't in position to fly your trip as scheduled, so be it.
You keep referrring to risk as if I’m accepting more somehow by joining a segment of the scheduled DH. Where is the added risk? I’m already deviating. What’s the alternative? Avoid the scheduled DH altogether and guarantee that I have absolutely no chance in getting support for a disruption? If taking that scheduled DH segment is a prudent deviation option or part of a back-up plan for my deviation, how is it that I’m taking on more risk than any other deviation? Sooner or later one has to commit to a plan to get where they’re going. When it’s prudent, I’m going to try to incorporate the scheduled DH or a portion of it into my primary or backup plan. If that means I can uncheck the appropriate boxes at 60 hours, great. If I have to check them all at that time, then I will. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to avoid the scheduled DH if it comes to that, not do my final check-in as I’m allowed or roll over and shrug my shoulders if I get told “no” in the event of an issue. I don’t share your “gee, the almighty company always does what’s best for them so we better let them” attitude. If it comes to a grievance (which I highly doubt), it won’t be my first and I’ll win.