View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 07:10 PM
tnkrdrvr
Occasional box hauler

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by whalesurfer View Post
[COLOR="Navy"][i]I know, I know, we’ve had plenty of Amazon threads here already.. haha.

I’ve always said that I don’t view Amazon as an imminent threat BUT I sure hope our (brown) management takes this future threat seriously.

A close friend’s son is at a regional airline right now, he’s building his pic-time. For quite some time he’s been very focused on working for purple or for brown and I still think that’s his best bet.

However, he’s only 25 so he’s got many years ahead
- If so, would he be better off at a cargo airline (purple, brown, someone else?) or a pax airline? (and if so, which one?).
My opinion is that for the next twenty years brown and purple are the best financial bet. If things go pear shaped after that, he can always jump to the cattle haulers. Yes, he’s given up seniority, but he will walk away from Brown or purple with an A plan (he won’t be able to collect until 60), a B plan, and the fruits of making more sooner on our pay scales. If he goes directly to the pax haulers, he will never get an A plan, he faces a far higher furlough risk, and he has to wait years until he is senior enough to hold wide body pay. Additionally, if he decides he likes domestic flying more than international, he will never max out the pay scale at a pax hauler.
As you know, forecasts 40 years into the future will be as accurate the weatherman’s.