View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 08:07 PM
Baradium
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2006
Position: 737 FO

Originally Posted by RJdriver89 View Post
Just finished my second trip in a row where the captain was the only one who couldn’t seem to grasp the concept of gratuity. Please don’t embarrass yourself and your fellow crew members by not showing gratitude to our van drivers for transporting us safety to and from our accommodations. If our flight attendants can find it in their budget, so can you. It’s literally $6 for a 4 day trip, come on. There is no justification for you being cheap. Rant over.
It was absolutely embarrassing while I was at endeavor the number of Captains who would make fools of themselves trying to excuse why they didn't tip. From pushing van drivers out of the way to get their bags to telling the same driver repeatedly "I'll get you next time" or "forgetting to have cash" 100% of the time.

Originally Posted by JulesWinfield View Post
I generally don't carry cash. I try to get some cash back at the grocery store, but forget. If there were a more convenient method of tipping, I would tip more often.
If you forget cash often enough to think you need to chime in to say you do, then you at least sound like part of the problem. For one, you should at least have a $20 bill in your wallet in case your card is stolen or declined on a trip. If you don't have that you are foolish. If you do have that and don't at least ask the van driver if they can make change then you are an embarrassment.

I only go to ATMs for cash for tipping van drivers. I don't carry cash for any other reason with the exception of a couple $20s in case my card number is stolen. I did that the entire time I was at the regionals and I still do now. If for some reason I think I don't have enough I'll pay the fee for an ATM on the trip be it on the overnight or in an airport. You are supposed to be a professional, act like it.