View Single Post
Old 03-07-2019, 03:09 PM
ptarmigan
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: B777 Captain

[QUOTE=JohnBurke;2777150]I'm familiar with it. It may have some merit for the lowest hanging fruit that can't fly an aircraft or maintain situational awareness or do their job at the most basic level...but such really ought not be in the cockpit in the first place. Renslow, for example. Given his wholly inappropriate response to impact, there is no reason to believe an annoying voice or additional flashing light would have made any difference. Everything he needed was already in front of him.

Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
I would suggest you attend MIT's workshop coming up. It might be of interest to you. [/url]

Not remotely of interest, thanks.
If you are advocating that we entirely change how we are recruiting and training pilots, as you can see from my multiple writings on the topic, I'm 100% onboard with that. If you are saying that the design of our aircraft is "good enough" and it is the fault of pilots that accidents are happening, I will STRONGLY disagree! Between our system design and training we are completely failing pilots (and the traveling public!).

As for the MIT workshop, that is your loss, and reflects more on you than anything else, sadly. I suggest you read my friend's article on the topic for a primer: https://aviationweek.com/business-av...-out-accidents