View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 03:44 PM
Airhoss
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Sleeping in the black swan’s nest.

Originally Posted by oldmako View Post
1. In my 32 years, I've never heard of an airline pilot get in hot water for smoking pot. Not one.

2. I can count on one hand the number of guys who made the news for drinking at this airline. By your own account, we've had "a few" of those. I don't deny that some people make mistakes nor abuse alcohol.

3. I take it you don't imbibe on overnights. Good for you.

I do take issue with the broad-brush you're swinging around. It is entirely possible to enjoy a beer or cocktails while on an overnight and stay completely within the FOM guidelines and to then fly like Chuck Norris in the morning. When I'm sitting in my rocker at retirement I don't think I will look back on that ADF approach I flew into PHF at 0220 25 years ago, but I will look back to more than one overnight in Hilton Head or Brussels or Sao Paolo or ....(fill in the blank) and smile. To equate drinking a beer with stealing a passengers sweater is one of the most farcical leaps I've ever read here. Most pilots I know enjoy finding great food and perhaps a frosty-pop or two on overnights. Are they all "dumb" and felons in waiting?

I don't deny that some people make mistakes and have issues with alcohol. I just hope you don't ever get a flight office job. This job is already 1/3 less fun than it used to be.
I don’t disagree with your post except that I have done a requal for a guy who was out for over a year for peeing hot for pot on a random. I also know of several other drug related rehabs. One for crack cocaine. It’s rare but it happens.