Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 06:14 AM
freezingflyboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 7ER B...whatever that means.

Originally Posted by captjns View Post
What do you do during a turn. shut the jet down, find a office with a fax... review the paperwork?

Technology is light years beyond from the ‘70s. Flight plan and aircraft status is sent via email. We can access the same on the iPad too. It takes the same time be it in the car, operations, flight deck to decide on fuel, route modification due weather, etc.

Is it really necessary to waste the time walking 5 miles to Dispatch then walking another 10 miles to the jet?

The trusty mobile phone can put me in contact with Dispatch should the need arise. After all M5000, they have more important tasks at hand rather than taking to you when they don’t need to.

Report back to this forum, after you’ve gained some experience, and report your views on this matter.
I think M5000 was agreeing with you that, in this day and age and with the tools we have available, meeting in ops/planning room is a waste of time.

Domestic? I'll see you at the gate. But I show up in the planning area at report time for an international flight because that's what we are supposed to do. Half the time, the other guys have already been there for an hour and have already done everything (not that theres much to do anymore). All that's left is to figure out who's doing what, talk about any special/significant issues and sign the release. The last remaining advantage to the planning room vs meeting at the gate (besides tradition) was a large flat place to fill out the orientation chart. But now that's on the tablet too.