View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 01:27 PM
toolman04
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2007

First off, I would not reccommend the military route - at least if you are thinking the officer side of the house. I'm currently ATC/Airfield Management and you will do 90% A/F Mgt as an officer. On the enlisted side, you will get more time in position (so to speak) but, especially w/the guard, expect more deployments.

I can't speak as much to the civilian side of the house but the latest info I received was that, with the re-vamped pay scales, trainees are making around $31K a year with an increase each year for five years. This tops out around $70K, and then future pay is based off of experience and the facility to which you are assigned. On average, it takes about 8 years to catch up with the average line controllers. The schedules are a bit tighter than they used to be from what i understand (was just at Houston ARTCC) and they are running a bit short on manning. As with anything, it just boils down to doing what you enjoy. Most of the folks I work with love ATC. I, on the other hand, am counting down the days 'til I can get out and take the 75% pay cut for a flying job -- it's just what I love to do. I will say that it has helped, on the pilot side of things, to have had ATC experience and visa versa. Hope this helps a little bit.