Old 03-14-2019, 12:01 PM
bluesky24
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2017

Originally Posted by Housewrench View Post
Apologies if this is the wrong place for this question, but since I’m considering a major career change I’m just curious.

Do any of you have experience or comments about flying with someone who used to be an airline mechanic? Stories, critique, etc. are welcome.
I’m not an A&P mechanic but I have friends that were that I went through new hire training with. They were very sharp and excelled at systems knowledge. However, It seems when I started out at the airlines there was much more emphasis placed on systems knowledge and tough systems orals when learning a new plane. Nowadays very little emphasis is placed on this. In fact I believe my current airline is just a computer based test that is open book. I think it would be advantageous though to have this knowledge in general and also when learning to fly and perhaps even owning your own airplane to build hours in. As you advance in your pilot career I would say it would show your passion and enthusiasm for aviation in general when applying and interviewing for a major airline job.