View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 11:47 AM
Skyward
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by barabek View Post
I think that a lot of the Monday morning quarterbacks here should wait for the final results of both investigations before judging the pilots' skills. How easy to criticize those who can't defend themselves. Try also imagining the situation at low altitude when your airplane is aggressively trimming forward, your attitude indicator is showing excessive pitch up, stick shaker is going on, you continuously keep overriding the nose down pitch with your stab trim. As I understand from the little information we got about the MCAS, you can override the auto trim forward with your stab trim switch, but the moment you let go off the switch it immediately trims back down. So you have the trim spinning back and forth (thus the oscillations in both accidents) at low altitude and low airspeed. No memory items to turn of the stab trim cutout switches. Not too much time to run QRH, not enough training and information about the system. Some say the other crew that brought the Lion Air airplane the day prior successfully ran the checklist and turned the stab trims switches off. It's true, but they were much higher, during a descent with completely different aircraft energy and attitude. Think what you want, but I consider blaming the crews for being not experienced or not well trained as scapegoating. I think Boeing created the problem and they should assume the responsibility. And for all you great aviators that have so much experience, think about what they went through right after you take off. Add night conditions or IMC if you like...
The way I understand it, MCAS is disabled with the autopilot on or flaps extended. Seems putting the flaps back to 1 would stop the MCAS also