View Single Post
Old 03-17-2019, 05:44 PM
Bluedriver
The REAL Bluedriver

Joined APC: Sep 2011
Position: Airbus Capt

Originally Posted by BeatNavy View Post
First, it's not technically a base within a base. Kind of semantics, kind of relevant to the discussion. A special qual class within a base would likely be a little different than a base with in a base (would be assigned SQ pairings but could fly non SQ pairings as well). Also, I don't think JB will have only one Europe destination. It'd be multiple or none I'd think. And SQ (special qual) pairings are only required per the CBA to have one segment to a SQ location. In other words, they could, in theory, have a pairing that goes like this:

Day 1/2 JFK-LHR
Day 3 LHR-BOS
Day 4 BOS-FLL (insert any other location here)
Day 5 FLL-JFK

Not saying it's likely because I have absolutely no idea how they would crack this nut if Europe is announced, but my point is there could, in theory, be some other locations thrown in on the pairings to mitigate that.
What you are saying is possible, but probably not likely. The more non-international flying included in the pairings, the more SQ dudes would need the super-top-secret specialized training, which would partially defeat the purpose of having an SQ subset and unfortunately not be the cheapest solution.