View Single Post
Old 03-17-2019, 08:52 PM
MiLa
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2012
Position: 737 FO

Originally Posted by baronbvp View Post
I will counter this valid argument with a reality check: sometimes, when they ask you when you can get here, it’s because pax are sitting at a gate with a gate agent and crew trying to flex because a crewmember suddenly called out. They’re trying to figure out when to board. People’s schedules and connections are at stake. There are second- and third-order effects.

I just jumpseated yesterday with a United captain who told his folks he could get there in an hour, on reserve even though he had just come off a long trip. They boarded the plane a half hour late. The CA showed up right when he said (and the gate had called ahead to KCM/TSA to let them know he was expected, so expedited), and off we went.

I’m all about policy, but I’m also about team play. If I can get there in less that two hours, I’ll let them know. If not or I’m unsure, I’ll say I need two hours. It’s not all about you.
Per the UAL contract he received extra pay for accepting a less than 2.5 hour call out. Not arguing against your point but just want to clarify.... the only thing I would use caution about is telling them one thing and then not being able to deliver. I.e. ya I can be there in an hour, then get stuck in traffic and now they are coming to you asking why you were “late” when you said you can be there in an hour.