View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 08:58 AM
telejet
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2012

Originally Posted by baronbvp View Post
I will counter this valid argument with a reality check: sometimes, when they ask you when you can get here, it’s because pax are sitting at a gate with a gate agent and crew trying to flex because a crewmember suddenly called out. They’re trying to figure out when to board. People’s schedules and connections are at stake. There are second- and third-order effects.

I just jumpseated yesterday with a United captain who told his folks he could get there in an hour, on reserve even though he had just come off a long trip. They boarded the plane a half hour late. The CA showed up right when he said (and the gate had called ahead to KCM/TSA to let them know he was expected, so expedited), and off we went.

I’m all about policy, but I’m also about team play. If I can get there in less that two hours, I’ll let them know. If not or I’m unsure, I’ll say I need two hours. It’s not all about you.
I understand the sentiment, but honestly how long does it take to board a 200? Or even a 700? By the time you get set up, look over the logbooks, do your flows and brief, 99% of the time they will be boarded and ready to go.

I also did my best to get there quickly, but that never stopped me from getting a quick cup of coffee if it was early, or taking my time getting set up up front.