View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 09:50 AM
at6d
Strike averted!

Joined APC: Mar 2015
Position: B737

Originally Posted by RckyMtHigh View Post
The Dallas captain pining for the days of Herb is more of a problem more than your new hires.

Your average new hire is much more invested in a great contract and work rules that will benefit us all in the long run than the 60 year old captain just wanting to get a couple extra bucks before retirement. Plus in today’s market that new hire can walk away to somewhere else and can afford to take a hard line. Give them credit for being smarter than you think (jumpseat issue aside).
I’m not being critical, nor am I challenging anyone’s credibility—just pointing out that about 50% of our new hires have no airline experience and it’s important to address the big ticket items with background information/history so they truly can vote for long term gains that benefit all of us. The modern times of the big hiring affects all carriers, so it’s even more important to educate right away.

Unfortunately, I’ve been in the jumpseat commuting and have experienced FOs with less than five years clearly on the side of management and in opposition to the pilot group. It’s not limited to that DAL captain.

I was surprised that as a newhire, I had the ability to vote while on probation (different from my last 121 gig).

I am confident in our new hires! I was one not long ago.