View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 08:36 PM
atlphx
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2017

Originally Posted by TKOwnedU5 View Post
Check in with your local banks. Personal loans are all that you can get for a local flight school unless it’s tied to a university you can get a student loan with a much lower interest rate.

I’m at my local FBO currently paying out of pocket and scrapping the bottom of the barrel and I’m only flying 3 days a week. I’m also a recent college graduate with $20k student loan debt hanging over my head.

Personal loans are going to have a high interest rate 12-15% roughly. If you can afford working full time and fly at least 3 days a week you can get all of your ratings in about 1-1.5 years.

My instructor got a 60k personal loan and is paying ridiculous amounts of interest 16%! Your banks might offer you a lower rate, shop around you might get lucky.

It really comes down to how fast you want to get all your ratings and the amount of debt your willing to get yourself into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the response! It seems like any cost savings from the part 61 school is killed by that insane interest rate. I'll have to shop around in the PHX area and see if anything comes a little lower than that.