Thread: New Contract
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 09:18 AM
757Driver
Need More Callouts

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Unbridled Enthusiasm

Originally Posted by Grumble View Post
What you’re missing (or I missed you mention it) is that the VEBA is one of the few tax free pay/growth options we have. Putting that money in your B fund to pay those same medical bills that you’ll have in retirement.... it may be up when you withdraw it, it may be down, either way you’ll have to pay income tax on it.

It’s one less thing I need to pay for with taxable dollars in retirement, and I applaud ALPAs foresight in trying to find us more tax free avenues of compensation. Higher pay rates just increase our taxable income, if I have $250k in my VEBA the day I set the brake for the last time, then I know I’ve comfortably got my healthcare needs for my wife and I paid for and what’s in my B fund and other investments is ours for whatever we want to do with it. I’m not worried about what percentage I could possibly need in the future to cover unforeseen medical expenses.
I do realize that G but I personally don't want to take the risk with that much money and let it possibly disappear. Some of us have other health care lined up where we really don't need that much and its frustrating to have a program like this that I most likely won't use.

To each their own regarding the VEBA and if you need $250k then so be it. Don't at all like the take it or leave it Committee member who suggests that I'm not a team player for not wanting to bequeath large sums of money to perfect strangers. Its obvious that other airlines have alternate plans that would benefit everyone so why not explore them?