Old 12-13-2007, 05:45 PM
jdwky

Question Looking for advice on getting ratings quickly

Looking for some advice on obtaining my ratings. I'm currently working on my instrument rating and own 75% of an Arrow. One of the other partners in my plane is a CFII. He is getting busier with his job and doesn't have as much time as I'd like to do flight instructing.

My background: 25 years old, ~112 hours, 44 PIC, 16 instrument, 65 x-country. College degree in business. Just started and sold a business in NYC. Working part time as a lineman at the local FBO now to network for some future pilot positions.

My goals: I want to fly commercially. I haven't decided whether I want to do 121 or 135, but I strongly want to be based out of my hometown, Louisville, KY. I have some cash in the bank from selling my business, plus $40K invested in the Arrow (a business "capital loss" to marginally offset the sale of my business).

I want to obtain my ratings as quickly as possible. What's yalls recommendations? Studying text books puts me to sleep faster than Ambien. Just received the King DVD course in the mail, they seem pretty good so far. But with my CFII quite busy now, I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to move forward as fast I like. ATP seems like a good option, but it's quite expensive!! I don't really want to CFI unless I have to, I'd rather fly bank checks overnight or anything.

Thanks in advance for the advice!