Thread: Feb 25th class
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 05:39 PM
FliFast
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2006
Position: I was acquired, Not Hired

Hey Cactus!
It's been awhile since we visited our friend Jerry...the Sailor !
So, good news, the skies are safer now that I'm in the training center. With regard to the sub topic at hand, I've seen more success with new hires now that UPS is hiring based on background for the split classes. We do hire many that are already typed in the 747. So the hardest part as you might imagine is re-programming their callouts and procedures from their former employer to UPS. However, when I'm teaching systems, for example, I can say split system breaker or demand pumps and the newbies know what I'm talking about. There are still a few assigned to the 747 that need extra training, no doubt. But I've found this more common with newbies who are from non heavy jet backgrounds. If you're a newbie or transitioning from another fleet, I will tell you that if you feel you are overwhelmend or falling behind pull your instructor aside and ask for help. I can only speak for our fleet but the IPA sim techs and the management instructors will gladly take extra time to catch you back up. One of the biggest hinderences I feel to the 747 training program, is the lack of continuity. It is roughly a 31 day training event before OE that is averaging 120 to 140 days. It's hard to keep current on the material when you are home and also when the material is constantly changing as the fleet evolves to becoming more Boeing and more -8.

C.C, I've got some training in SDF in a few weeks.....we can visit our friend SailorJerry. AND ALSO, the sombrero in 603 on the tiger is mine...dont let Marc mess with it...see ya pal !

FF