View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 11:35 AM
Planetrain
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Originally Posted by zippinbye View Post
Did anybody else get stung by inability to list XCM on Southwest last Sunday (3/24)?

As far as I could determine, My ID Travel and Southwest could not establish connectivity, so anybody that wanted to list on WN was out of luck. Desperately needing a "plan B" for later that day, my attempts to list began at about 07:00 Pacific, and continued for hours: Each time, the "submit" button lead to a message something like: "backend connectivity error, unable to complete listing. Please try again later."

My F/O an I naively went to the departure podium in LAX, only to be told that no human at the airport could list us for the flight. We watched a 737 with plenty of seats push back without us.

Two points (this is a pet peeve of mine) 1: What happened to captain's authority over the jumpseat?
2) What happened to the "reciprocal" in reciprocal jumpseat? If "Airline X" (pretty much all of them except Delta and Alaska) demands prelisting for jumpseats and "airline Y" (AS, DL and the few others) allow an OA pilot to walk up to the podium, where is the reciprocity? Special hoops to jump through for many, versus a simple, common sense path to getting a ride jumpseat on a very few!

Shouldn't there be a back-up plan if a technology disallows making a listing?

Sure, this is fresh on my mind mainly because it cost me one half of Sunday with my family (a real QOL issue), but it has implications that could lead to missed trips. As commuting is a dynamic set of circumstances, it's rare to follow the original path of intention. Are we satisfied that ALPA allowed mandated XCM listing to become the new normal, while our own carrier still does things they way they should be done?
That’s a bummer situation.
Southwest is SWAPA, not ALPA. I’m sure if you forwarded your situation particulars to the jumpseat committee they might be able to highlight the problem across high level channels and begin to prevent this from happening again.