Old 04-01-2019, 08:41 AM
tunes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011

Originally Posted by TurbineDriver View Post
Question for all you guys out there. So I have officially done the 401a to Roth IRA move twice this year (after both of my last 2 paycheck as I started doing this mid year). The problem is this has been a pain both times. When I call fidelity they always have to “estimate” how much money to transfer. They usually add 10% to my 401a after tax number. Then they tell me if market goes down the transfer won’t go through and they will have to ask for “max available” and resubmit it. Anyways it’s ended up in 3-4 phone calls each time trying to get the amount right and a lot of hassle. I do have my money going into brokerage link.

My question is what am I doing wrong? Is there a better way to do this? I could keep it on the plan side but one rep told me I can’t invest in the money market fund we have available and all the bond funds don’t allow me to transfer money out into the Roth IRA....so basically I can’t pick a fund with low earnings to minimize taxable gains.

I would love to hear from somebody who does this regularly.

I've been doing this for over a year and never once experienced what you are saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk