Old 04-01-2019, 11:11 AM
TurbineDriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2012
Position: 320B

Originally Posted by LeineLodge View Post
No idea what’s causing your issue then. The only thing you’re doing different from me is the Brokerage Link setup, so maybe there’s something to that.

As far as the “can’t invest in the bond fund” that definitely isn’t correct. All of my contributions (pre-tax, 401a and company) are spread across 5 index funds (the bond index fund being one of them).

When I call to initiate the 401a->Roth IRA transaction Fidelity sells some of each of those funds (including the bond fund), usually with minimal gain if I do it shortly after pay day. Within a few days it settles and I have an equivalent amount in Fidelity Cash Reserves in my Roth IRA, which I then use to buy whatever investment I want. I’m boring and use the total market index fund - FSKAX.

It sounds like you’re getting a rep on the phone that isn’t familiar with the process. Ask to speak to someone else, specifically familiar with the DPSP, and more specifically our “in service withdrawal” option.

You can pull up the Summary Plan Description on the Fidelity site or the DALPA site under R&I if you need to quote them chapter and verse. Something isn’t right in your experience. Hopefully you can get the friction removed. It should be painless after the initial time or two.

If all that fails call the ALPA R&I committee and they should be able to get you going.
Is money initially going into your brokerage link or just the plan side? Just had a long conversation with a rep. Sounds like it will be infinitely easier to just have the money initially go to the plan side.