Thread: Oth dd214
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 09:51 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

In the past everybody, including regionals, asked for it. Some may have lightened up lately.

Regionals will most likely hire you anyway since the offense was minor, understandable, and a non-offense in the civilian world. I suspect many will not even ask.

I'm pretty sure at least some, if not most, of the top-tier majors will ask. Lower tier, maybe not, you'd probably need to get that from someone who interviewed at that specific airline recently.

But even if they don't ask for a DD214, you may still have to address these questions on the app and interview...

"Have you ever been terminated by an employer?"

"Why did you leave the military?"

Usually applications have you list each employer, including reason for leaving. What are you going to say?

You REALLY don't want to lie about something like that, especially at a career-destination airline because if it ever came to light later you would be sent packing with no recourse... possibly after years on property.

For app and interview purposes, I would only consider this a resignation if you can prove it was a resignation. The DD214 will have a separation code, if that code indicates a routine resignation or retirement then maybe you can make a case that the OTH was the punishment, and you were leaving anyway. If the sep code is anything weird, they will probably assume the departure was involuntary.