View Single Post
Old 04-06-2019, 01:17 PM
LocDog249
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2019
Default Medical history questions

I'm looking at taking the jump into becoming a pilot. I've been scouring the forums and watching so many videos on Youtube over the past few weeks. I have a few questions on some things I just wanted to get advice on.

About me: Soon to be 37, no kids, living in the Portland, OR metro area. I don't have a college degree (I know it's helpful as with any job, but my end goal isn't an ATP.) I do have about $45,000 saved up that I would like to use for my PPL, IR, CPL, and CFI. I will be able to be a student full time, flying as often as they will let me.
I don't have any hours logged. I do have a discovery flight booked next week and I have started filling out my medical forms. This is where I run into my first questions/concerns:
My understanding is there isn't much, if any, cost difference between getting the medical certificates. So I figure why not get the first class. Any down side to this?
A few areas of concern for me regarding the medical:
1. I have been seeing a therapist for mild/moderate depression for the past few years. No medications, no suicidal thoughts. Will this be an issue?
2. As a child I used to get motion sickness anytime I flew. The spinning tunnel amusement park attraction is a no go for me. I used to get faint from gory images and have chronic migraines. I did have an issue around 17 years of age where I passed out in the middle of a psychology class. I was low blood sugar from having not eaten all day and they were talking graphically/showing images of brain mapping. There is no medical record of this incident. I prefer to lay down any time I get blood drawn. I am not diabetic. Blood work always comes back just fine. (I have annual appointment with my primary next week too.) I have not had motion sickness nor have I had any other issues of passing out for the past 18 years. I haven't had a migraine or issues with gory images for about 20 years now (I spent lots of time watching ER shows on the Discovery Channel in my early 20's.) Will this be an issue and do they hold stuff against you from childhood if you have "outgrown it?"
I'm looking at going to a local 61 program. Like I said, my discovery flight is booked next week, and I'm in the process of filling out the medical so I can get the exam done.
Does $45k seem like enough to get to my CFI? On this note, I do have flexibility and could travel to a cheaper part of the country for flight training. Nice things about staying close though are most of my family is here (sisters) and no sales tax.
My dream job really consists of flying around Central America in a smaller airplane taking passengers to some touristy spots.
How profitable is a being a smaller scale pilot or a CFI for your career? So many just view them both as stepping stones to the majors.
Any help/advice/feedback is greatly appreciated.