View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 07:44 AM
Cujo665
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014
Position: Semi-Retired...

Originally Posted by TeamSasquatch View Post
In all honesty, and I’m guy number 2.... #1 is probably much easier to train. Has a background that is heavily focused on standardization and intense flight training every other day. Although they might lack some ADM and “solo” time, what they would learn flying around in a 172/A36/B55 would only go so far in the 121 program. If they had a surplus of apps, I’d guess the airline would lean towards the #1. Now, #2, would likely be very professional, but not as trainable for the 121 lifestyle. The light single and twin flying is great for some ops.... I just don’t think it caters to the 121 world much.
You make more decisions flying your C172 around the pattern doing touch n go’s than an FO makes in a week. You evaluate the weather and decide go, no go. You do the flight planning and the weight & balance load decisions (some regionals still are manual, but most aren’t) you decide your fuel load requirements. There are many PIC decisions going into every single flight you make. In the right seat, you’re a head nodder of decisions others made for you. Even if you’d like a change, you still need CA approval.

They like the young kids because they can indoctrinate them with things like that it’s okay to land with the fuel gauges in amber since that’s 45 minutes... (at long range cruise at FL370)....on a flight going into NYC at international push time. Then when they upgrade, they’re that much less likely to call for more gas. It’s like that in every aspect of the job. Getting you to perform with less is easier with younger kids not well experienced at saying no diplomatically.

The young kids are definately easier to train at the schoolhouse and in the Sim world though.

That all said.... for a regional job, it doesn’t matter.

If you have 1500 hours and can show proof of life.... you’re hired.