View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 08:05 PM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by cfimechanic View Post

I have trouble with the argument that pilots take on more risk than mechanics and that is why they make more. while yes they should make more I just cant wrap my head around how much more they are making. Statistically roofers have a more dangerous job than both and make less than both.
The roofer climbs 30' above the ground, kneels and hammers. The pilot climbs to 30,000 above the ground, sits, and drives. The atmosphere around the roofer is safe; the atmosphere around the airplane causes loss of useful consciousness in 15 seconds, is -54 degrees, and is moving at greater than 3/4 the speed of sound. The roofer has a nail to hit. The pilot has a thousand controls, indicators, warnings, and functions in the cockpit. The roofer requires being shown the job a few times; the pilot takes years of training. The roofer might go his entire "career" and never be examined, while the pilot will be examined every few months, every one at the peril of not only the checkride, but his job and career. The roofer won't lose his job if he has a drink, or fails a medical exam...and doesn't need a medical exam. The pilot, on the other hand, is quite different.

Not a great analogy.

The education argument I also find week.
Weak, too? Hence the need for an education.

The education argument I also find week. Yes flight school is very expensive, but you can go from 0 - commercial in almost half the time you can get an A&P cert.
Then forget the A&P and go be a pilot.

Two different jobs. An A&P can turn wrenches in a repair station or under the tutelage of a certificated mechanic before the A&P is an A&P. In other words, joe blow (who has never seen a picture of an airplane) walks in the door and a half hour later he's pulling panels on uncle buck's Bonanza. Or a 727. Give that a whirl in the cockpit.

Why? Because a PHD in underwater basket weaving isn't in high demand.
You may not be looking in the right place.

However now I am viewing my A&P as the golden par of handcuffs restricting my carrier. Every time I work somewhere they are super excited to have an A&P/pilot, and then because its (in my opinion) harder to get highly skilled mechanics I end up pigeonholed in MX making MX pay while also flying. The response I always get is because that is what mechanics make, never mind we had to higher two people when you left. I guess I'm just frustrated about the invisible pay barrier holding down A&P pay.
Then don't do that.

P.S. Mechanics don't sleep in there beds every night. They work all Wednesday - Sunday night and get to sleep in there bed all day.
Ridiculousness. The mechanic went home to his bed and slept during the day.

The pilot, on the other hand, left home and didn't see his bed for 17 days. Or nights.

Because he's in Hong Kong.