View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 12:12 PM
fosters
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005

Originally Posted by rickair7777
Why the attrition at AWAC? Is it good attrition (people going to majors) or bad attrition...fed-up pilots dropping out of aviation to work at Wendy's?
Little of both. People have left for UPS, CAL, jetblue, etc.; however many have left for corporate jobs so they don't have to commute out east. The bonus for the junior guys is that almost all the people leaving are the senior guys, hardly any junior people are jumping.

I personally don't care much for the midwest and west (lived in the SW for 12 months), so it worked out well for me. Living in base in ORF is pretty nice. But then again I'm a beach bum who wears flip flops in the winter.

As for living in NYC, f*ck that. I lived 25 minutes from Manhatten, and it blew. I can't stand the large amount of people in that cluster. But if you commute it can be a good base with lots of flights to 3, possibly 4 different airports (LGA, EWR, JFK, and HPN, all with good public transit access).

South of Washington DC the east coast gets a lot nicer. Charlotte is nice, basically the east coast version of Houston. Cheap houses, large plots, etc. If AWAC would open up a CLT base I'd head there in a heartbeat.