View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 05:36 PM
DarkSideMoon
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Originally Posted by AlfredoSauce View Post
Hey all, I start training in July and intend on moving to wherever I end up working. I may bid for ORD since it’s junior and I need a cooler climate. Do you guys have any feedback about moving to that city? I’m looking for ideas for decent neighborhoods to move to that I can commute to when on reserve. Is the crime in the area as bad as the reputation? Wondering if it’s a good idea to move my family there. Looking for about $1500/month rent. I’ll take any random tips or advice as well. I don’t mind commuting 1.5 hours to the airport. Thanks for the help guys.
You’re not going to find anything in the city in that price range with enough room for a family in a neighborhood you’d want to leave them alone in, unless you’re willing to live in a very old place. I’d check out the north and northwest suburbs. Make sure you check the commute time at various times of day. Traffic is pretty variable around here and just because you can make it to ORD in 1:30 on a Saturday afternoon doesn’t mean you can on a Monday morning.