View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 12:59 PM
TKOwnedU5
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2015

Originally Posted by MBFLYIN View Post
The struggle is real. There is no good option to pay for training, which is another contributing factor for the "pilot shortage". I'm starting full time training in June/July. I have explored every option to make the transition from a good income to no income, while shelling out $50k+, palatable. I'm in a similar boat, I live within a 40 minute drive of three schools. Two schools offer financing but are very expensive, $75-85k for everything. And another part 61 school that goes solely on a credit card on file but could finish up between $40-50k if a solid student. I'm lucky enough to recently learn of a way to cash out some 401k $$ to cover a significant part of the costs. The rest I'll be paying out of pocket from savings. I have been very very fortunate to be in a good real estate market at a great time. I'd recommend getting your real estate license because it could be a way to supplement your current income for flying. Before I discovered the 401k deal, I was going to jump all into a financed option at a part 141 school. The way I see it, time is money, and seniority. The pilot shortage window might close sooner than later. Right now for guys like you and me, the sooner we get our number the better off we are. Paying more up front, might be worth making more money sooner than later in the long run. Short term sacrifice for the quicker long term reward. If that makes sense. Keep in mind that you can split up your training as well, do your private and instrument at local part 61 deal then switch to part 141 and finance the rest. Everyone I have talked too in the industry advised going against "work and pay as you go" because it could take 5-10 years to get where you need to be.

Good luck with your decision, hope the 2 cents helps.

Wow wow...What 401k deal? I thought about pulling money out of mine but I don’t wanna get hit with the high penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk