View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 01:16 PM
⌐ AV8OR WANNABE
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Question

"...Basically, I wouldn't want to sign my name on the dotted line, and find out PRK can only correct me to 20/30..."

Well, I don’t think you’ll ever find a doctor who can guarantee you a 20/20 vision, they might guarantee "20/20 or your money back” but that wouldn’t really help you would it?

Your chances of getting 20/20 are much greater with Lasik over PRK though. Remember that PRK is nowhere near as precise as Lasik so try to find out if Lasik surgery would be an option approved by the military, if not look into PRK.
Good luck!

http://www.aviationmedicine.com/arti...7&contentID=67

From the "PRK" link:

“After several years of study, the US military services now authorize Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK) for aircrew. LASIK is also approved on a limited basis for non-ejection seat aircraft and those whose typical cabin altitude does not exceed 14,000 feet because of a concern for corneal flap instability.”

- Most aircraft are pressurized right? So how do they decide which services will allow Lasik and which won't? Anyone?

From the "Lasik" link

"In June 2004, the USAF authorized many aviators and special operations forces to undergo LASIK. See USAF Wave Front Guided LASIK policy - updated June 22, 2004. Fighter pilots and those operating at cabin altitudes above 14,000 feet MSL are excluded. All services including the US Army, USAF and US Navy will allow waivers for non-aviators after an observation period."