Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2019, 08:39 AM
captjns
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Originally Posted by Riverside View Post
As a current 747 driver, go ahead and enlighten me.
I would say with the automation and instant information of today outshines with what we had to work with way back when. New pilots of today with 250 hours in the right seat of a Boeing or Airbus just can’t relate. Never comes up for discussion unless they want to know. Just like with my generation, I can’t relate to flying the A/N routes that Pooch817 had flown. The subject never came up unless I asked. The current generation won’t have any pass along, other than communicating with that miserable HF, to the next generation given the improvements in communication, navigation, and automation of today that will only improve as time goes on.

I watch an old American Airlines promo on YouTube. It was a DC-7 flying from Idlewild to Los Angelos. They took off IFR, leveled at, I think 16,000’. Cancelled their IFR and flew VFR on top all the way. An era i wish I could have experienced... then transiting to jets. Another subject that Pooch817 could impart to us.

I do embrace the improvements with technology... but equally embrace the philosophy of knowing your airplane and having the ability to fly the same airframe in the event of failure of the onboard automation.