Old 04-21-2019, 08:54 AM
Longhornmaniac8
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2017
Position: Guppy

Originally Posted by SoFloFlyer View Post
Got the call for an interview. Any info or tips?
It sounds canned, but just be yourself. If you've made it to this stage, they want to hire you. Be humble, be engaging, and ask questions. Remember, the captains that are a part of the panel are basically answering the question "would I want to fly with this guy/gal on a 4-day?"

My interview experience was a little bit different because I was the only one interviewing on that day, but it was really straightforward. I was in and out in about 1.5 hours. HR did a presentation (which normally is given to the group of interviewees), followed by the 10-minute, 20-question technical quiz (Sheppard Air made this really easy, and certainly helped give me a leg up when studying for the ATP a month later...contrary to what they say, there is a lot of overlap in the questions). After that, you don't know what you got, so don't worry about it. Then the recruiter and captain each asked interview-type questions, geared to your aviation experience. These included questions about a difficult student I taught, situations where I had to make a command decision even if it wasn't popular, reading a METAR/TAF, simple Jepp approach briefing, some really basic aerodynamics questions (what's going on if you've exceeded your critical angle of attack?), etc. Just be prepared to sell yourself. That's what those questions, particularly the HR-type questions, are designed to do.

Just be yourself. Don't over-prepare. Aviationinterviews.com is a good resource, but the questions are wildly outdated and, in my opinion, considerably more difficult than the ones they asked me back in September.

The quiz is not something to stress about. They use it as a tiebreaker if the interviewer and pilot disagree about whether to move forward with a candidate.