View Single Post
Old 04-21-2019, 08:43 PM
TrojanCMH
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009

Originally Posted by FNGFO View Post
Did they now? Ok, we’ll just accept that for the time being.

I didn’t say NKS I is some well oiled machine or that they couldn’t have handled it better. But compared to our competitors we have only a fraction of the resources (read manpower and planes) to throw at problems like this over a major holiday weekend, and our high time airframe use means that each plane’s being out of position effects more flights on average than other airlines.

Clearly this weekend caused a shakeup in Miramar as things are still a bit in flux. But everyone had a bad weekend operating on the east coast. Let MSP and ATL get hit simultaneously, or IAH and ORD and tell me how good DAL and UAL look trying to pick up the pieces.

I’m going to agree to disagree with you. All those airlines would have probably been proactively cancelling and rescheduling crews to get them into position to clean up after the weather had moved out. I’m not saying those airlines are perfect but I’ve never seen a Delta or United flight attendant sleeping in an airport in uniform before.

It’s just a lack of investment and learning from the past. This happens nearly every year. There were flight attendants sleeping in the MCO and FLL airports that weren’t legal to work the next day because they didn’t have the man power to get hotels for them that obviously added to the problem. There were flights that boarded up and then cancelled because they thought pilots were there when they were in some other city. It’s hard to recover an operation when you probably have 5 schedulers and 1 person working the hotel desk and several hundred people all calling at the same time trying to get help. Also this wasn’t an unforeseen weather event or a massive computer outage. It was forecasted for days that this line was going to cause havoc in Florida and up the east coast and still nothing proactive. Just keep going until it stops working... We finally start getting some positive press and they dropped the ball. They never seem to learn from the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk