View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 05:53 PM
ClonePilot
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: 145, MQ-9
Default 121 vs ISR

Originally Posted by capt4life View Post
Nothing appreciable in the last decade. I intend to go get a flight review and and instrument re-qual in the next coming months but that will be in a C-172. Thanks for all the advice-
Hey Capt,
I did 130s and then T-44 King Air IP in AETC. Got my ATP/737 type to leave active duty and the economy crashed. Went Guard drones (1s, now 9s) for a few years till the economy improved and some medical waivers could go through.

Saw that everybody was starting hiring. Joined an Army contractor flying 300-350s. 1 month training, then 2 months deployed. Quick and easy for a mil guy with a current TS. Select your contract to be an AIR FORCE contract, not Army. I got QUICK currency and lotsa hours, but painfully so. The $ was good but being in the sandbox....again, sucked. But I hung with the Bulgarian Army and had the best of rip-its. Your ISR experience will be invaluable there as they are non kinetic assets. I'm sure you've seen all the callsigns in your keypads around you.

If you go the 121 route, it will be 2-3 months of training, then another 2-3 months till you get the magic 100 "current" hour mark depending on your IOE schedule etc... There are bonuses but read the fine print, you may not get them. The recruiters left a lot out like a car salesman.

I went regionals after my ISR company lost the contract and taking the advice to get 121 time, but at $1900 a month take-home, its a tough sell. I've depleted all my savings going this route for so long.

I DO like being near home though and in a hotel. None of the military guys I know who joined my regional with me have been picked up by a major once they got "current" though, kind of slow and not the quick "you'll be out of here once you get currency" expectation I had.

As for SWA, they note they want the last THREE years of flying, so that eliminates any 11X guys from just getting current and applying there. Still apply though, break the mold for us.

I have not heard of FedEx hiring King Air ISR guys directly but Atlas has hired a dozen in the last few months. I would be hopeful that if you went ISR, as soon as you get 100 hours you'd pop up on FedEx's hireable list given all your mil experience. As always, check that app and update it.

TLDR:
One way makes you quick money and hours while being gone 2mo at a time, the other is slower and poorer but stateside and needs less body armor and life insurance.