View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 08:30 AM
Box Office
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: 7ER FO

Originally Posted by Deuce130 View Post
Heavy squadron - surf the internet from 0830-0930. Do your actual office job from 0930-1130. Make announcement on PA system where the lunch push is going to, maybe Hooter's, maybe the mall food court, maybe TGIFs. CiCi's Pizza is always a favorite. 1145-1330 lunch. 1330-1400, walk around with a piece of paper in your hand and a determined look on your face. 1400-1530, go to the gym. 1530-1545, check the board to see if you're flying the next day. You are? Cool. 1545, go home. Don't forget to grab the extra flight cap and extra set of car keys you left on your desk when you went to the gym, you'll need them the next day and you don't want anyone seeing them after 1700, as it'll give the trick away.
This made me laugh and used to be true. It may still be true for brand new copilots or ACs, however the reality my last few years in was much different. I was working 50-60 hours a week and coming in later and going home earlier than most people around me. This was for my desk job and I was lucky to get 10 flight hours a month and I was an instructor begging to fly. The squadron just did not have enough people and the CC determined manning the desk was more important than the cockpit.
Big picture for heavies- at home you will fly a desk and never fly - especially the more you move up in rank and responsibility, but every four months you get to deploy and do nothing but fly and live in a tent.