View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 09:03 AM
WEACLRS
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: 737/FO

Originally Posted by Daddio View Post
What are the short, medium, and longterm prospects for someone of this age?

How best to proceed? Not to proceed?
I have a different perspective. I am a "second career" pilot having spent many years in a fortune 500 business and consulting career. I was laid off (position eliminated) three times during that career. I held a number of positions, and before leaving to pursue an airline career held a senior manager position with a large company. I only wish I had someone who would have asked this question 20 years ago and help me get started then. ALL careers can have their ups and downs. The most important thing he can do is pursue the career he has a passion for. If he truly loves to fly, then this is a great career. However, it will take a minimum of 7 to 10 years or more to earn that six figure salary at a major airline and he most likely will have some bumps on the road. The nice thing is he can start now (which he should) and pursue his college degree while he is training.

To start:
- regardless of his good health, go get a first class physical . Aviation medical examiners (MD's) can be found on www.faa.gov website. If he can't pass the physical, he can't play. It will cost about $75.

- if he hasn't done it, go to your local airport and take in introductory flight. It will cost about $100. It will be his first lesson.

If both of those go well, then it's time to consider how best to proceed, whether through the military or civilian route. At the moment, if he was to apply himself, has a great attitude, and is capable of being mature beyond his years, he could easily be flying for a regional airline in 18 months. He would not be a captain there until he turns 23, but if he gets started now that could happen the day he turns 23. Of course the shortage of regional airline pilots could change in this industry quickly as we've all seen.

Feel free to PM me if you would like further information.

Last edited by WEACLRS; 12-16-2007 at 09:12 AM.