View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 02:35 PM
wornTiller
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2018

Originally Posted by cashewchop View Post
Mobil jet II still has TCP..... according to the SDS and our case we just received. Is there another option for oil without it?
Both 2380 and Mobil Jet II contain TCP as an antiwear additive. It is added to aid in protection of metal parts in "extreme pressure" applications where there is potential for metal-on-metal wear.

Something like a plain mineral oil (I believe AeroShell Turbine Oil 2 would be an example) would not have TCP or TOCP additives.

However, the mil-spec for the AeroShell product is different than the Mobil Jet II product, so while viscosity may be similar, I'm not sure how close in application those oils would be. Ask your friendly neighborhood Airbus dealer.

My back of the napkin guess would be: There are NOT going to be synthetic turbine oils without TCP because those additives are what helps makes the oils competitive. Sort of like asking Progresso and Campbell's to make low-fat soup not taste like x$$ without adding a ton of sodium.

Sure, they could remove the TCP from 2380, and Campbell's could take out the sodium, but then everyone would buy Mobil Jet II & Progresso because one performs better & the other tastes better (even though one is Sarin nerve agent in a can and the other is heart disease in a can).