Thread: Airline to Mil
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 07:50 PM
BeatNavy
Covfefe

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Originally Posted by Gordie H View Post
I can speak a bit regarding the OTS route to Air Force UPT. Realize my info may be dated..I’d check out the forums on baseops.net for the most current info.

As I recall there are a few recruiters in each state that handle civilian OTS applicants but I can’t exactly remember how you connect with them. I want to say you’ll have to go through the recruiter in the mall, as you say, and he “should” be able to hand you off to correct person. Just don’t let them enlist you as Security Forces or something…lol.

Once you’re in contact with an OTS recruiter – used to be Master Sargent – that person will walk you through the requirements and help you build a package. Your package will include your medical, AFOQT scores (which are heavily weighed fyi), transcripts, letter of recommendations, etc. Obviously it takes awhile to complete and it’ll be capped off with an in person interview with an active duty officer. That officer will write you an overall recommendation which (along with your package) will go to a board of Colonels that will select or not select you for commissioning and UPT. The boards used to meet quarterly.

Realize if you go this route it’s basically a 10 yr commitment AFTER you graduate UPT (so in reality you’ll be in for 11/12 years). Unless things have changed very recently, there isn’t any more UAVs going to UPT grads so assignments are typically heavys, a few fighters and maybe a chopper or two. Good luck!
If OP is considering ANG/AFR I would advise to NOT talk to a recruiter. Talk to pilots in the squadron. They do the hiring. Recruiters facilitate the admin accessions stuff after the hiring piece has been done by the unit. The exception is the unsponsored AFRC board, in which case an officer accessions recruiter has to facilitate everything. In either case, there is a ton of info on baseops.net and bogidope.com with how to get everything done. There's also an annual active duty board, but I wouldn't mess with that nonsense.