Thread: Airline to Mil
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 09:04 AM
OrionDriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

If you want fighters I'd say your best bet is to rush a Guard/reserve unit as an "off the street" hire. If you go active duty it will be your scores (and those of your peers) in flight school that determine what you get to fly. You could have the highest scores in class but if there aren't any fighter slots the week you select your platform, too bad. Though usually the top guy gets what s/he wants.

The system for platform selection is more or less the same in the Navy and the AF.

If you go Guard/reserve then you're going to training for the platform that specific unit flies - i.e. F-16s. However, if your scores aren't high enough in Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT) then you won't get to fly fighters. I'm not sure what happens at that point as I didn't do AF training (though I'm in the Guard now).

Having lots of flight experience can be helpful in training. I used to teach at the Navy's flight school and we had a number of guys come through with extensive commercial flying experience. They roughly fell into two categories:

1 - (vast majority) Guys with lots of experience but the humbleness to shut up and learn it the Navy way, applying their knowledge appropriately. They did very well.
2 - (a few) Guys with lots of experience but thought they "knew" more than the IPs, which they sometimes did, but not how to do it the Navy way. They did poorly and ****ed people off.

I found the category 1 guys to be enormously helpful to me as an IP and also to their fellow students. You'll be in a good position to really help your peers be better pilots, just remember that you need to learn to do it the AF or Navy way (or Army, Coast Guard).

I applaud you for considering this path. You, career wise, probably don't need to. If you're on at Sky West now you'll probably be at a major in a few years. The military would be a cut in pay and it's a completely different lifestyle. But we need good dudes and we get to have a lot of fun!