Thread: Airline to Mil
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 09:58 PM
Bassetjet
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I'm going to still try to get into a guard base but if no one calls I'll still be in the process of getting everything ready for the Marines. Marines seems like the best option(besides guard) since they guarantee the pilot contract and Navy/Air Force do not (right?). Also, fighters are a high percentage of their total aircraft count so a majority of their pilot slots would be fighters (I think I heard it's around 30%).

Some of you were talking about seniority and getting on with a major. It would be amazing to get on with a major prior to joining and accrue seniority but with my hours (less than 1000 121 pic and less then 3500 tt) I don't think I'm competitive for the majors. I'm almost tempted to get on with a LCC quick and then join so I could come back to a more lucrative job then I have now.

But that all being said, time is not on my side and I've wanted to make the jump and serve in the military for years and I'm probably at the point where its now or never. I'll need to get the age waiver regardless which I think is good until 35?. But given my timing I don't think I could get on with a major prior to joining.

As far as pros and cons, I think the biggest con of joining would be the possibility of lost career progression to a major by a few years. But with that being said, even if I'm in my late 30s and at a major but without have served, I think I would seriously regret not joining, yes it's potentially a lot of lost money but I'll have time later in my life to fly 121.

If you guys see any flaws with how I'm processing this out, feel free to correct me and give your insight.