View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 11:18 AM
atpcliff
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt

Hi!

Right now, it's the best time in HISTORY to start a flying career.

ALL the jet manufacturers recorded their best two years in history for new orders.

China/India/Asia is booming like MAD, so even if there is a downturn in the US, it won't matter-there will still be a pilot shortage.

The numbers of commerical/ATP pilots in the US is now LESS than there were 5 years ago. More and more people want to fly in the US, the fractionals are growing, as are the VLJs and the air-taxi carriers.

I would NOT go active duty military-they don't fly very much, typically. I got 1500 hours in 6.5 years. If he wants to go mil, do the Guard route, where he can fly both mil and civilian.

There are more options now:
If he is a dual-citizen, and allowed to work overseas, he could try to get in an ab-initio program where the foreign carrier will pay for ALL of his flight training, and hire him before his first flight (like the military).

There are programs now where they will let you get your CFI for free if you agree to work as a CFI for a couple of years for the organiztion.

If you have a lot of $, you can do these:
Go to Embry-Riddle/UND (UND is better) and get your ratings and four year degree, OR
Go to one of the pilot training places that will get you from 0 time to all your ratings ASAP. It is expensive, but quick.

If you want to save $, and not do the CFI thing above, find a local FBO/flight school to get your ratings. If you ALSO want a two or four year degree, you can find one like that. For example, here in GRB, you can go to a -141 flight school that is hooked up the a 4 year college in Utah. You can live at home, fly in GRB, and do your classes via the internet.

The key is to get flying ASAP!!!

I would recommend a program where you can fly right away, and get your 4 year degree online while you are flying. Where I work, USA Jet Airlines, the company will pay 50% of your online schooling.

Good luck!

cliff
YIP

PS-The space-tourism thing is blasting off (hahahaha!) now, and there will also be a strong demand for space pilots. I'm not sure how to get the rating/training, but they'll figure it out!