View Single Post
Old 04-27-2019, 10:23 AM
crewdawg
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Since I helped derail this thread, I'll try to get it back on track.

The nice thing about WB is the difference between 60% and 90% is very small wrt to schedules as we all pretty much get the same type of flying. The staffing tends to be better, so much more opportunity to drop/manipulate your schedule. If you're a commuter it can be great depending on the base, but almost all our trips have a late sign-in and reasonable sign-outs. If you live in base, like I do, it can be an absolute dream. One leg/day, no rush, the jet is always fixed, always start two, 3-4 pilots every leg, long layovers is pretty nice places. I work some of the same duty days as many of my NB buddies, except I only read one set of checklists, get a meal and a nap. I've went back and ran the number of days worked vs pay since I've on the WB (2+ years). I'm averaging 8.7 days of work per month for 83.2 hours of pay, and that's with only 1 premium pay trip (mostly bid lines). I'd have to work 14-15 days/month of high time trips to get the same hours on a NB. Most of the months I bid reserve, I flew between 0 and 9 days.

Honestly for me, the only downside to WB flying is the lack of diversity of layovers and body clock stuff. The latter being a big concern of mine wrt to long term health. Of course, domestic flying ain't no walk in the park either.

Best of luck.