View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 05:32 PM
ofthesea
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2019
Unhappy What is reasonable?

I have been supporting my husband as he's been training with a flight school (not at a 141, just a little independent school at an FBO), but I'm running out of steam. We have two small children and it's getting harder and harder to keep up with all of the bills on my own. I am self-employed and I am stressed and stretched to my limits.

He just passed his instrument check ride two weeks ago. He has 200 flight hours currently. Realistically, how long should it take him to get to 250 and get his commercial rating? He is not working at all, so flying is his full time focus, but it seems go to so much slower than I can stand. He quit working last October and just got his IFR in mid-April. He already had his private and about 100 hours before he quit. Does this seem reasonable? 6 months from 100 hours to IFR? I thought that would go much (much) faster.

He says I'm being unreasonable. I say he could be going faster to get me out of this stress-hell and he's not trying hard enough.

I completely acknowledge that he could be right. Maybe I am being unreasonable. I'd like him to finish commercial in the next 4-6 weeks. Is that crazy?

Please help me understand what would be a realistic goal. We're really cracking under this pressure. I just need to see the light at the end of this tunnel and to understand how much longer I need to hold this together on my own.