View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 08:53 PM
Rob J
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2019
Default Is 49 too old for a pilot career change?

Hi everyone, I'm 49, 50 soon. I've always been an aviation buff, and have always wanted to be a pilot. Life got in the way, and prevented that dream. Now at 49 years young, I've been giving some serious thought on pursuing that dream.

But, I want to also be realistic, and manage my expectations.

Looking for the experts here to give me some honest, solid advice. Here goes.

As stated, I'm 49 (50 in July), single (no pets), and in excellent health. Very active, and live a health conscious lifestyle. Never smoked, and rarely drink. Most people think I'm 35-40 years old. Clean driving record, no troubled past with the law or anything. I'm squeaky clean.

Have been a successful small business owner in the technology industry for 20 plus years, but am looking for a new challenge, and career change into aviation.

I live in the Miami, FL area, right next to Miami Executive Airport (There are about 5-7 flight schools at this airport) where my son is currently taking part time flying lessons at age 14. His current flight instructor (24 years old) owns a small one man (part 61) flight school, and works for one of the majors flying A320's. I'll have the luxury of doing my flight training at that same school which is literally 5 minutes from my house, so that's a plus.

Since my home is almost paid for, my cost of living isn't too bad, and I have access to some funds that will help pay for the cost of my PPL, Commercial, Multi, Instrument, and so forth (First 250 hours). I've also got a good amount of free time to dedicate to my training.

My plan is to most likely work as a CFI at Miami Executive to gain my 1,500 hours, then hopefully get on board a regional such a Republic, and/or others, or maybe corporate. All this TBD of course.

I realize the reality of making it to the majors at my age may be a grim one, but I'd like some opinions on that.

Is this all a big pipe dream at my age, or can I pull this off? I realize the pay will be crap working as a CFI, and the first few years at a regional, but I'm willing and able to make that sacrifice.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

As a side note, do any of you guys think the FAA will raise the retirement age to 67, and/or beyond ever? I know there's been talk about it.

Thanks, Rob J