Thread: Charles Schwab
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 12:48 PM
DirtyPurple
Not a real airline pilot

Joined APC: Jul 2016
Position: Cargo > Pax

I did it last year. I think it's great. I've got funds all over the place, and the Schwab guy does a great job of explaining his role. He's not there to sell Schwab stuff, nor does he get a commission, nor does it cost me anything. The union has already paid for his services. He's familiar with our contract and the current A Plan.

He said I can share as little or as much financial data with him as I choose. We gave him all data, and he interviewed us for our family and life goals. He took a week to run simulations on the high, low average outcomes for our current path.

I then asked him specifically for what I could do better, and he gave me percentages of specific funds to purchase for my portfolio to mirror my family's desires. He did not want my logins to manage my funds/stocks himself, just gave me the directions to manipulate my own stuff. He recommended no Schwab products, and I purchased no Schwab products.

Really impressed with the service. He told me that his services as an executive wealth manager normally cost $3-$5k a year, but our costs are already paid by the union.

I've contacted him via email a few times since our initial meeting, and he's provided solid advice. I plan on meeting with him every year for continued evaluation and adjustments if needed.

TL;DR--no reason not to reach out to Schwab. Costs you nothing but time, you aren't required to take his advice, and it's very educational. The gains I've made in less than a year vs the market are...quite nice.