View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 07:50 PM
WacoQCF
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014

They are quoting me about the MAXIMUM 8 days off per month at CBP. From time to time we were put in Standby or forced to work our LEAP period. It is happening in Miami again.

I personally work 17 days on, 15 off and have never been extended. Between several “guaranteed days off” and absolutely justifiable fatigue calls, extensions really are voluntary.

As far as comparing time off from CBP to my airline:
I just completed a month where I worked 4 days for training only and then spent the rest of the month of April OFF. Look forward to June where I have qualified to take the entire month off....but wait ....there is more! After taking off nearly all of May, all of June, I believe with careful bidding I may work (I said WORK) 8 days of July, maybe less. I know 60 days in advance what my work days are, and I have nearly 100% control of when I am off.

The CBP Supervisors own you:
Did you know about the 4 month unaccompanied training you go to? Did you know about the fact that you sign an involuntary transfer “mobility agreement” to any station in the agency? Did you know that if they force move you, CBP Pilots are not in the Federal Agency home buy out program?

Supervisors:
In the government the slogan “f up to move up” applies. I know of ONE good Supervisor who is vocal about only surviving his last two years, because he can’t afford to quit.

Work Schedules:
At one point recently we worked rotating day/night shifts between each week (with only 2 days off to acclimate). We routinely had less than 4 days notice to know on Wednesday if we were working on Sunday (can’t plan or have a life), and had so many pay and work rules violations that nearly every “line” pilot in the entire branch had filed grievances with OPR or “internal affairs”. OPR set up interviews in our branch for two weeks due to the number of interviews and violations. I could go on...but I don’t trust you will get the point.

We even had a shiny new hire who came in as his Supervisor’s yes-man. No really, anything it takes kind of guy...it was inspiring. In less than two years he was jaded, quit, and went to the job he swore he had ZERO interest in - airline pilot. Another former USCG guy came in with the same positive “I’m gonna change this place because I am a leader” attitude, maybe 3 years he was frustrated and at another airline. Even the head CBP Pilot recruiter just left for Kalitta. It’s what the FBI calls a “clue”.

Others took on “Acting Supervisor” roles (glorified hall monitors with a discipline quota). It should have given them a great shot at promotion to Supervisor. EVERY one of them was bypassed for promotion, and EVERY one of them quit or transferred in frustration.

But fine - tell me I don’t know what airline or CBP flying is like. You’ll be a CBP Supervisor in no time. Heck I’ll write you a recommendation. PR or MIA would be great for you. 🤣.

Last edited by WacoQCF; 05-02-2019 at 08:00 PM.