View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 08:22 PM
WacoQCF
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014

Originally Posted by Brown Shugaaa View Post
Do I have to get pepper sprayed again at the academy? Looks like pilots don't carry spray regularly. If so, anyone heard of medical waivers for corrective eye surgery guys?

I see there is a 1.5 mile run at the academy, which is fine I guess...if you like running... Are there annual, or some sort of recurring PT standards that I will have to conduct throughout my career as an AIA? In other words, when I'm pushing my late 50s towards the end of my career, do they still expect my old ass to be conducting running tests?

Thanks in advance!
Yes, you will have to take the spray. I don’t know of anyone who got a medical waiver.

No PT Standards, they have tried several times to drop one on the Pilots. Half would die, for sure. They don’t make the recruiting posters. We had a Supervisor so large he couldn’t fit in the DHC8 cockpit much less a King Air or any helicopter.

The message is, CBP can drop new requirements - and has frequently in the past years such as PASS / STAT / STAR / STAR Recurrent / Spanish Academy / ETC that were not requirements when I was hired. It’s just one decision away from doing PT Tests.

At age 50, range qualifications in any of our “garden spot” border locations (full body armor), all damn day on the range might kill you anyway. I’ve done it in hip high snow and suffocating humidity. Every Supervisor went to just one gun for qualification - while “line” Pilots had to qualify as Tactical Team Members requiring a 2,3,or 4 gun qualification. Oh, then after “quals” some ‘moto dude’ fresh back from Firearms School will extend your day another 2 hours for made up tactical training that makes the Army look smart.