Old 05-03-2019, 04:49 PM
Rourke
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2019
Default Junior Army Reserves WO & Future 121 Pilot?

Hi All,

I have skimmed through a number of forums on here hoping to find a thread similar to my situation but have struck out so if this is a double tap I apologize.

I am finishing Army flight school currently and am looking 6-12 months ahead. Once my unit level progressions are done, I intend to get my fixed wing certifications with the goal of eventually flying on the civilian side. Whether I do these through an RTP or using my VA benefits and going it alone is a driving factor for this thread.

We would not be having this conversation if the Reserves were not willing to make me a helicopter pilot and because of that, I want to make sure I pay down that debt. It is very important for me to be able to give them the 4-10 flying days a month they would like me to be performing. As best as I can tell, to accomplish that I pretty much HAVE to live near a Reserve base AND wherever I am based out of civilian side. This leads to DEN or COS being the most viable options with SDF being a more difficult secondary (due to civilian positions available)

Is there any room for negotiations with the regional airlines to guarantee a crew base? SkyWest, GoJet, and TSA all have crew bases in one of those two cities. I have seen varying information about how Senior Denver is for each.

I would of course LOVE to take advantage of one of the RTPs, but would I just be better off self-funding my fixed wing training so I have the flexibility to find a job at Denver maybe not with a 121 carrier?

I know that was long but I am thankful for any advice or experience ya'll are willing to share!

Last edited by Rourke; 05-03-2019 at 05:12 PM.